Over time, your heating vent covers may begin to look worn and unattractive, or may even be missing. As a homeowner, you want to keep your home safe and aesthetically pleasing; fortunately, you can replace heat vent covers yourself rather easily.
Here is what you will need:
- Plastic screw anchors
- Mounting screws (should be included with new vent)
- Replacement Vent
- Tape measure
Follow these 5 simple steps to replace the vent:
- Remove the existing vent by unscrewing anchor screws. Once the screws are removed, it should be easy to take the cover off (if it’s tight, give it a wiggle to loosen it up). Watch the edges of the vent, as they may be sharp.
- Measure the opening in the floor, wall or ceiling to make sure you have the right dimensions for the replacement cover. You may want to do this ahead of time so you can by the appropriate replacement and can complete the whole process at once.
- Clean out the vent as it may have dust, dirt and debris inside. Use the hose of your vacuum to reach as far into the vent as possible. Since you may not be replacing the vent again for a long time, may as well make sure it’s clean!
- Insert the plastic screw anchors into the existing holes to add security for the new vent. If the new screws are larger than the holes, you may need to drill holes to make them larger and make the installation easier.
- Install the new vent and screw it in tightly, ensuring it is secure and won’t fall off. You may need to make some adjustments so that the cover flushes with the floor, ceiling or wall.
If you need any assistance with your vents or ducts, contact Heatmasters at 773-777-5700.
Courtesy of doityourself