When cleaning your home, you shouldn’t neglect your HVAC system. Add the following to your checklist:
AIR VENTS: As air flows through and out of your system, dust can build up on the vents.
- Suck off any loose debris with your vacuum hose.
- For tougher debris, use a rag to clean in between the grill. You may need to drape the rag over something skinny that can fit in between, such as a butter knife.
FLOOR REGISTERS: Debris can also get knocked into the floor registers in your home.
- Unscrew the vent from the floor and remove it.
- Soak the vent in soapy water, and clean off tougher rust or dirt with a sponge.
- Vacuum inside the register to remove any pet hair, dust, dirt, and other small items that may have fallen inside.
- Dry the vent thoroughly before reinstalling it.
A/C UNIT: Debris builds up over time on the outdoor condenser unit, especially in winter, which can restrict the flow of air.
- Before doing any cleaning, turn off the power to the unit.
- Vacuum the air conditioner’s fins with a soft brush. The fins are delicate, so be gentle.
- Remove yard waste, weeds or anything else around the edge of the unit.
PROFESSIONAL HVAC CLEANING: While the tasks above are relatively easy to do for any homeowner, others may be more difficult, such as:
- Air duct cleaning
- Air conditioner coil cleaning
- Air conditioner maintenance
Contact Heatmasters for professional cleaning, maintenance and repair for your system.
Courtesy of HVAC.com