If you are a home owner or facility manager, the spread of mold can be your worst nightmare. Mold can grow just about anywhere, including in your HVAC system. No matter where the mold is, not controlling it promptly can contaminate the building and make the occupants sick.
Mold will always be present – it is nearly impossible to eliminate, but it isn’t impossible to control. The key is to reduce moisture and implement a continuous mold maintenance program.
A forced-air HVAC system is one of the fastest ways for mold to travel, so regular inspections of moisture in the system are important. Make sure the drain lines and condensation pans are draining properly and that the coils are clean and allowing air movement.
When you have a mold or moisture problem, follow these steps:
1. Act quickly as mold can begin to grow in less than 48 hours.
2. Turn off your HVAC system until the problem is located.
3. Make sure clean-up crew has proper equipment.
4. Fix the leak and use a wet vacuum to remove standing water.
5. Isolate each area as you clean so you don’t spread spores to other parts of the building.
6. Replace or dispose of anything that can’t be cleaned.
Courtesy of Goodway