As with many appliances and electrical equipment you have in your home, your air conditioner can make some interesting noises. The key is to know what noises are normal, and which mean something is wrong with your system.
There are many moving parts in your air conditioner that help it run, and each may produce a different sound during different times in the running cycle. The location of your unit may also produce audible signs that it is functioning properly. The following noises are typical in the average air conditioner:
- Clicking sounds when the system starts up
- Whirring from the motor or fan
- Sounds of air flow as it travels through ducts
- Popping from air ducts from sheet metal expanding and contracting
- Clicking again, or thumping, when the system shuts down
While some sounds shouldn’t cause alarm, others are a sign of a larger issue with the system. If you hear any of the following types of noise, you should contact your HVAC contractor right away:
You should have your AC inspected regularly. Contact Heatmasters with any questions or concerns about your system.