Whether you’re new to the Chicago area or are a new homeowner, you may be looking for a local heating contractor to make sure your furnace is in proper condition and ready for the winter. You don’t want to trust this work to just anyone, so be sure to ask about the following to determine the right contractor for you:
- Licensed, bonded and insured – Most states have certain requirements that must be met, as well as exams that need to be passed in order for a contractor to be considered licensed. HVAC companies need to maintain a certain level of bonding and insurance that protect you, the homeowner, in the event of an accident.
- References – Ask about obtaining a list of past customers you can refer to in order to find out more about the contractor’s quality of service and whether they were satisfied.
- Estimates – Get an estimate in writing from several companies and compare. This doesn’t mean you should automatically go with the cheapest; sometimes spending a little more is worth it in the long run.
- Specific experience – heating systems and their components can vary greatly, so make sure the company you choose has experience with your specific equipment.
- Payment schedule – If you are installing new equipment or having a larger project done, make a deposit and make sure a specified payment schedule is agreed upon.
- Contract – Everything should be in writing, and signed by both parties. The timeline for the work done, pricing, and other details should be included in the contract; read through it carefully before signing.
Contact Heatmasters if you are looking for a HVAC contractor in Chicago. We have over 70 years of experience and will make sure all work is completed to your satisfaction.
Courtesy of Angie’s List