From holiday lights, to the thermostat cranked up to 70, to cooking all your favorite treats, the holidays can take a toll on your energy bills. Save energy and keep those bills low with these easy tips.
- Change your furnace filter at the beginning of the holiday season.
- Replace the traditional decorative lights with LED lights – they use a fraction of the energy and last far longer.
- If you have an outdoor lighting display, set them on a timer so they are not on during the day, wasting energy.
- If you are having a party or relatives staying with you for several days, set your thermostat between 66 and 66 degrees. Extra occupants will keep your home warmer, so you won’t have to sacrifice comfort with a lower setting.
- Open-hearth fireplaces are a cozy way to warm a room in your home; however, the draft may suck warm air out of the rest of the house and up the chimney. Crack a window in the room where the fireplace is located to prevent the interior air being drawn outside your home.
- Cook as many holiday dishes in the microwave as possible. Since it cooks faster, it can save up to 75 percent of your energy use compared to a conventional oven.
- Yet another reason to keep your refrigerator well-stocked this holiday – when the fridge is full, the recovery time is shorter when the door is opened, saving more energy.
Need more energy-saving tips? Contact Heatmasters today! We hope you all have an enjoyable holiday season!
Courtesy of Paitson Bros.