Air filters may seem like a minor component of your HVAC system, but it can actually make a huge difference in the comfort of your home. Changing the filter can improve efficiency by five to 15 percent.
Here are some things to consider if you’re not sure whether it’s time to replace the air filter:
- Type of air filter: Different kinds have different expected lifespans, so check manufacturer recommendations as to how often the filter should be cleaned or changed.
- Indoor air quality: Does the air in your home feel stuffy or not as fresh? Are your allergies acting up when inside the home? This may be a sign the filter should be changed.
- Family members: The more people you have living in your home, the more dust, dirt and hair floats throughout the house, which may require changing filters more often.
- Furry family members: In addition to the human members of your family, pets can drag in dirt and hair in and around the house. If you have one or more pets, especially ones with fur that sheds, you may have to change the air filter more frequently to keep the air clear.
- Climate: Construction in your area and amount of pollution are large factors as well. Building construction creates a lot of dust that can get inside your home. Outdoor pollution can also get inside your home.
If you are still unsure whether your filters should be changed, it never hurts to just change them. Chances are you will enjoy cleaner, fresher air as a result!
Courtesy of Comfort Guard